We enter into our 11th theme for the CODP photo challenge and this month’s challenge lets you practice your people skills. So whether you are into travel, street or full-on studio portrait photography, all are welcome with this challenge.
Each month the College of Digital photography will post a theme that will not only challenge your photographic technique, but also push your creative boundaries.
Post your 3 of your best edited images either to Facebook or Instagram, using the hashtag #codpza & the relevant hashtag for the monthly theme. You can also tag us in the posts @codpza for feedback on your images.
All submissions need to be up on the 15th of each month. Submissions will be showcased on our social media channels, with regular entrants standing the chance to win course & workshop vouchers! Search the hashtags to see what some of our lecturers are getting up to as well.
Interpreting a photographic theme
Understanding the theme is critical in training your photographic eye. Words act as creative prompts which help the photographer become observant to photographic opportunities that would often be lost.
A photographic theme is merely a word prompt or phrase that inspires a photograph. It does not have to be taken literally and you may interpret the theme in any way you choose. The main purpose of the theme is to evoke ideas that will assist your photographic process.
November to December 2018 THEME
Portraiture – #codpzaportrait
- You don’t need a fancy studio and expensive lights to make a great portrait – usually the environment you are in will help determine the style of portrait
- Capture expression, personality and mood in your photos, whether you feature your subject up close or focus on the scene from far away
- You can create a powerful image using natural light and your everyday surroundings
- You could also let your imagination run wild and stylize your shoots with props and make-up
- Submission deadline – 15 December 2018
Please join CODP for our end-of-year Exhibition & Open Days taking place at both the Saxonwold and Fourways campuses.
Our current intake of 6 Month Photography Programme students have been working hard on their portfolios, and they’ll be graduating in Nov 2018. Selected works from our part students will also be on display at the Saxonwold campus.
The exhibition at the Saxonwold campus is a combined one that will display student work from both the Saxonwold & Fourways campuses.
WHEN & WHERE
Fri 30 Nov 2018 15h00-21h00
The College of Digital Photography
91 Oxford Road
Nikon, Sony and Canon will be represented, so please bring your cameras with for sensor cleaning!
For more information or to RSVP please contact email@example.com or 086 11 74686
Sat 1 Dec 2018 9h30-13h00
The College of Digital Photography
Office FF11 (above Checkers)
183 Forest Road
For more information or to RSVP please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 011 244 0044
Nikon Will Also Offer an Array of Special Promotions, Instant Savings and Discount Programs for their Latest Products this Holiday Season
MELVILLE, NY (NOVEMBER 14, 2018 AT 11:00 A.M. EST) – With the holiday season just around the corner, Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the retail availability of the new Nikon Z 6 camera, which was announced alongside the Nikon Z 7, Mount Adapter FTZ, and the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S, 35mm f/1.8 S, and 50mm f/1.8 S lenses in late August of this year. In addition to announcing retail availability for this product, Nikon will be offering an array of holiday promotions, instant savings programs and special discounts for a variety of Nikon products.
Nikon Z 6 Availability
The Nikon Z 6 offers an incredible value for photographers and content creators, striking the perfect balance of speed, optical performance and powerfully cinematic video features while maintaining the advantages of a lightweight mirrorless design, all at an incredibly compelling price point. The versatile Nikon Z 6 includes a 24.5-megapixel-BSI CMOS sensor, wide ISO sensitivity range of 100–51,200, 12fps continuous shooting at full resolution, 5-axis in-camera vibration reduction technology, crystal clear 3.6m-Dot Quad VGA viewfinder and full-frame 4K UHD video capture with full pixel readout.
The Nikon Z 6 will be available nationwide starting this Friday, November 16 for the suggested retail price (SRP) of $2,599.95 with the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens and $1,999.95 for the body only configuration.
Nikon Holiday Promotions
Nikon Inc. is also unveiling several new holiday promotions to encourage consumers to share the gift of photography with their friends and loved ones.
For consumers in the market for a new mirrorless camera, the Nikon Z system is an ideal entry-point. Now, for a limited time, Nikon Inc. will be offering $100-savings on the Mount Adapter FTZ when purchased alongside the new Nikon Z 7 or Nikon Z 6.
Additionally, Nikon will be offering numerous special promotions on the extensive lineup of Nikon DSLR cameras, camera kits and NIKKOR lenses, which are great gift options for those looking to take their photography and video capture to the next level this holiday season.
The list below outlines the instant savings available starting on November 22, 2018
Entry-Level DSLR Savings:
– Nikon D3500 Double Zoom Lens Kit: $499.95 (after $350 instant savings)
– Nikon D3500 18-55mm VR Kit: $399.95 (after $100 instant savings)
– Nikon D5600 Double Zoom Lens Kit: $699.95 (after $450 instant savings)
– Nikon D5600 18-55mm VR Kit: $649.95 (after $150 instant savings)
Enthusiast and Professional-Level DSLR Savings:
– Nikon D7500 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Kit: $1,449.95 (after $300 instant savings)
– Nikon D7500 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR Kit: $1,749.95 (after $570 instant savings)
– Nikon D7200 Body Only: $799.95 (after $300 instant savings)
– Nikon D7200 Dual Zoom Lens Kit: $999.95 (after $550 instant savings)
– Nikon D750 Body Only with MB-D16 Multi-Battery Power Pack: $1,399.95 (after $939.95 instant savings)
– Nikon D750 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens Kit with MB-D16 Multi-Battery Power Pack: $1,899.95 (after $1,539.95 instant savings)
– Nikon D500 Body Only with MB-D17 Multi-Battery Power Pack: $1,799.95 (after $469.95 instant savings)
– Nikon D500 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR Lens Kit with MB-D17 Multi-Battery Power Pack: $2,399.95 (after $939.95 instant savings)
– Nikon D810 Body Only with MB-D12 Multi-Battery Power Pack: $2,799.95 (after $629.95 instant savings)
– Nikon D810 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens Kit with MB-D12 Multi-Battery Power Pack: $3,299.95 (after $1,229.95 instant savings)
– Select legendary NIKKOR lenses also available at up to $200 in instant savings
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 – An All-New Photo Editing Experience Now Available
Portland, OR – November 13, 2018 – ON1, Inc announces that ON1 Photo RAW 2019, an all-new photo editing experience and a major upgrade to ON1 Photo RAW, is available today. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes all-new features and technologies along with a streamlined workflow that is elegant, powerful and easy to learn. Notable new features include a new non-destructive workflow for layers, auto-alignment of layers, focus stacking, a new portrait tab, a new text tool, new digital asset management updates and more. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes the tools photographers need in a single well thought out photography workflow application.
This all-new photo editing experience gives photographers the features they use the most from the Adobe® Lightroom® and Photoshop® worlds in a single application. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 also includes a significant enhancement to the migration process for customers looking to move away from Lightroom®. Version 2019 is the first solution to utilize AI-powered algorithms to transfer and display Lightroom edited photos in ON1 Photo RAW 2019. The transferred settings will also remain non-destructive and be re-editable inside ON1 Photo RAW 2019.
The ON1 community drives the development of ON1 Photo RAW based on what’s most important for their photo editing needs. Every new feature and improvement made in version 2019 is a direct result of community input through the ON1 Photo RAW Project.
- A New & Faster Editing Workflow – All of the editing modules from previous versions have been combined into the Edit module to create a single place for editing photos. The former editing modules are now available as tabs to allow you to work in each seamlessly without changing the application appearance. These include Develop, Effects, Portrait, and Local Adjustments tabs.
- A New Workflow for Layers – ON1 Layers is no longer a separate module. Instead, the power of layers is accessible within the non-destructive workflow in the new Edit module. This allows for creating or editing multi-layered files, including raw files, and keeping non-destructive settings for each photo layer. Customers can also move, size and mask each layer. More importantly, and a new concept, each layer has its own non-destructive settings, all the way back to the original file. What’s most exciting is if you are working with raw files, powerful adjustments like exposure, highlights and shadows can now be processed using the raw data in a layered photo workflow. All without having to change modules or applications.
- New Lightroom Photo Settings Migration – New AI-powered algorithms give customers the ability to transfer Lightroom edited photos, keep the non-destructive settings, and move them into ON1 Photo RAW 2019. The updated Lightroom Migration Tool in version 2019 transfers almost every edit you can make in Lightroom including raw processing, crop, retouching and local adjustments along with folders, photos, collections, and metadata.
- New Focus Stacking – Automatically blend a series of photos at different focus distances to increase depth-of-field. It’s so fast, you can adjust the focus in real-time, just like changing the focus on your lenses. Think of it like HDR, but for focus instead of exposure.
- New Auto-Align Layers – Easily combine multiple photos as layers, then automatically align them based on image content, making it easy to mask and blend them together.
- New AI Masking Tool (coming Winter 2019) – This new tool, powered by machine learning, will allow customers to easily identify areas of their photos to create a selection or mask and the AI technology detects your subject matter and automatically creates a beautiful mask.
- New Portrait Tab – The new Portrait tab automatically detects faces in your photo allowing you to easily retouch, smooth skin, brighten and sharpen eyes, and whiten teeth.
- New Text Tool – The new text tool is perfect for creating posters, postcards, or adding your byline or watermark. Easily control font size, color, position, and more and then save a preset to add the same text overlay to a batch of photos quickly.
- New Master Keyword List – Now you can see every keyword you use in a single, searchable list. You can quickly apply, clear, edit, or delete keywords.
- Enhanced Local Adjustments – Local adjustments have been enhanced to use the raw processing data. This allows for more highlight and shadow details with more tonal range. This also includes new controls like haze, whites and blacks.
- New Layered HDR Workflow – With the powerful new non-destructive layers you can combine other photos, text or alternate exposures with your HDR photos. Use the powerful masking tools to combine multiple HDR renditions even.
- New Filter Options in Effects – We have added dedicated film grain, curves and color adjustment filters to Effects. These let you add film grain to color photos and make advanced, targeted color and tone adjustments faster. There’s even a new filter selector that allows you to search for filters, learn what they do and even view a sample before you add them.
- New User Interface – The new user interface has a fresh and modern feel. Overall contrast has been reduced to make photos stand out along with a new font to help increase readability. Updated icons, tabs, and sliders will also take up less visual space.
- Other Updates – including support for HEIC files, keyboard shortcuts for changing modules, more accent color options, color labels on folders and more.
- Additional Camera Support – Added support for the Fujifilm XF10, Fujifilm X-T3, Nikon P1000, Nikon Z7, Panasonic LX100 II, Leica M10-P.
- Additional Lens Profiles – Added lens profiles for: Canon EF35mm f/1.4L II USM (750), Chinon Auto Chinon 35mm f/2.8, KMZ Helios-40 85mm f/1.5, Nikon 200-500mm F5.6 174, Panasonic LEICA DG 8-18/F2.8-4.0, Panasonic LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2, Pentax Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Sigma Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM, Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS, Sony FE 50mm F1.8, Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 DiIII C001, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (A032), Voigtländer Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar III.
Price and Availability
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 is available today for $99.99. Previous owners of any ON1 product can upgrade for $79.99. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 is also available as part of an ON1 Plus Pro membership for a for $129.99/year (Reg: $149.99/year). ON1 Plus Pro includes a perpetual license of ON1 Photo RAW along with in-depth post-processing and photography education from the industries best trainers such as Matt Kloskowski, Hudson Henry, Tamara Lackey and many more. All of it is easy to follow along and fun. For a limited time, a purchase of ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes some great bonuses. These include the ON1 Photo RAW 2019 Foundations video course, which provides the perfect get up and running training and the ON1 Looks eBook and series of 25 videos and practices files and to help you master ON1 Photo RAW 2019.
A 30-day free trial of ON1 Photo RAW 2019 is also available for download from the ON1 website.
A single purchase of ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes both macOS and Windows installers and activation for up to five computers. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, world-class customer support based in Portland, Oregon USA, hundreds of free video tutorials, and free ON1 Loyalty Rewards every month.
What’s Ahead for ON1
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 will include several free updates over the next year with all-new photo organizing and editing features, AI-powered algorithms to enhance workflows, other feature refinements, as well as updates for cameras and lenses. The first free update will in Winter 2019.
ON1 is also working on solving additional problems for customers who share files across multiple computers or work environments as well as those customers who are shooting video as part of their photography process.
“As we’ve said before, we have big plans at ON1. Our team is already busy working on the next free updates to version 2019. These will include dual display support, an editing history, and additional capabilities and enhancements to Focus Stacking,” says Craig Keudell, President of ON1.
About ON1 Photo RAW – An All-New Photo Editing Experience
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 is a game changer. Version 2019 includes everything photographers look for when editing their photos including an integrated photo organizer, raw processor, pixel editor, and layered file workflow. It’s like having Lightroom and Photoshop® in one application without paying a monthly subscription. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 will also use ON1’s
state-of-the-art processing engine providing a fast, smooth, comfortable, and fun photo editing experience while producing the highest quality results for your photos.
Photo RAW seamlessly integrates the features of photo organizing, non-destructive editing, layering capabilities, the best masking and selection tools, portrait retouching, hundreds of photo effects, text, HDR, automated panorama stitching, photo resizing, and more into one powerful yet easy-to-use software application.
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 supports RAW files from over 800 cameras, but it isn’t just for raw files. It also supports file formats include JPEG, TIF, PSD/PSB, PNG, HEIC and DNG are supported and benefit from the speed, performance, and abundance of editing tools in the app. Photo RAW 2019 will also integrate as a plug-in to Adobe® Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC as well as Apple Photos and will continue to work as a standalone photo editor and rival the Adobe Photography Plan. Like the current version, version 2019 will integrate with the major cloud services to allow for uploading, managing, and editing photos across multiple computers. This enables users to sync photos and their edits across multiple computers or in a studio setting.
Holga Digital has launched a new hand-cranked instant photo printer that works with smartphones. The device is being funded on Kickstarter, where the company presents an Instax printer that “looks like a Holga 120 without the lens.” It’s crafted with molded polymer and works with any smartphone camera.
The Holga Printer has a relatively unique design, requiring the user to unfold components into an elevated platform upon which a smartphone is placed. Printing requires the user to press the shutter, then hand-crank a knob to print the Fuji Instax instant photo. The device doesn’t require batteries or wireless connectivity.
Holga Digital is offering backers a Super Early Bird Holga Printer for pledges of $51 ($398 HK). The device is estimated to start shipping to backers in March 2019 with global availability. Holga plans to release a mobile app for Android and iOS that’ll launch alongside the printer. This app will allow users to apply Holga filters to digital images, as well as add text and icons. Supported effects include a color mode, black & white, double exposure, and Holga effect.
Lastolite By Manfrotto, the world’s leading manufacturer of backgrounds and lighting control systems is proud to announce the launch of the HaloCompact Reflector and Diffuser.
The HaloCompact is a completely new, patent pending design concept that makes the everyday reflector and diffuser panel even more portable than ever!
Unlike many traditional reflector/diffuser panels that incorporate a steel rim pop up design, the 85cm (33.5”) HaloCompact is constructed using Lastolite By Manfrotto’s new innovative RapidExoframe™ technology. The collapsible lightweight aluminium frame quickly slots together and the reflector or diffuser fabric simply clips onto the frame. The cleverly designed RapidExoframe™ construction allows the frame to breakdown into small multiple sections and along with the folded fabric packs into a carry case measuring only 6.5 x 27 x 6.5cm (6” x 6” x 6”) weighing only 335g (reflector and case).
The ultra-compact folded dimensions make the HaloCompact the perfect solution for Photographers on the move or with very limited carrying space. It now means a reflector/diffuser can always be carried in the camera bag rather than having to consider whether to take an extra bag or not. A handy carabiner style clip also allows the user to clip the HaloCompact to their belt if out on location with their camera only and no camera bag.
The HaloCompact also features an ergonomically designed handle so it can easily be held and accurately positioned with one hand. The handle also incorporates a very useful ¼” thread (plus a ¼” to ¼” adaptor), enabling it to be easily attached to various different support systems, to offer secure positioning further away from camera position.
The HaloCompact is available in two versions – the first is a double-sided reflector, with silver one side and white the other. The second version is as a 2 stop diffuser.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is warning drone owners and operators that they will be subject to significant fines that may exceed $20,000 if they interfere with emergency response operations in the areas affected by Hurricane Michael.
Many aircraft that are conducting life-saving missions and other critical response and recovery efforts are likely to be flying at low altitudes over areas affected by the storm. Flying a drone without authorization in or near the disaster area may unintentionally disrupt rescue operations and violate federal, state, or local laws and ordinances, even if a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is not in place. Allow first responders to save lives and property without interference.
Government agencies with an FAA Certificate of Authorization (COA) or flying under Part 107, as well as private sector Part 107 drone operators who want to support response and recovery operations, are strongly encouraged to coordinate their activities with the local incident commander responsible for the area in which they want to operate.
If drone operators need to fly in controlled airspace or a disaster TFR to support the response and recovery, operators must contact the FAA’s System Operations Support Center (SOSC) by emailing 9-ATOR-HQ-SOSC@faa.gov the information they need to authorize access to the airspace. Coordination with the SOSC may also include a requirement that a drone operator obtain support from the appropriate incident commander.
Here’s the information the FAA may require:
- the unmanned aircraft type
- a PDF copy of a current FAA COA
- the pilot’s Part 107 certificate number
- details about the proposed flight (date, time, location, altitude, direction and distance to the nearest airport, and latitude/longitude)
- nature of the event (fire, law enforcement, local/national disaster, missing person) and the pilot’s qualification information.
The future of the action camera is here. Insta360 today launched the ONE X, a 5.7K camera that uses 360° capture, groundbreaking stabilization and cinematic slow-mo to radically expand what’s possible with a camera.
Compatible with both iOS and Android, the ONE X is available to order today at Insta360.com, with shipments beginning Oct. 17.
Insta360 ONE X – The Future Of The Action Camera:
A new kind of camera.
The ONE X is more than a 360-degree shooter. It’s a new kind of camera that uses 360 to give users more freedom and more creative possibilities – both during and after capture.
Combining an unlimited field of view with gimbal-level stabilization and new high-FPS shooting modes, the ONE X unlocks the ability to control time and perspective in ways that make it feel more like a fleet of cameras than a single device.
Shooting in every direction and making it all look good, requires some serious resolution.
That’s why the ONE X records at a best-in-class 5.7K (30 FPS). For dynamic scenes, new 50 FPS (4K) and 100 FPS (3K) shooting modes keep action super-smooth and let you slow the action down to highlight key moments.
18 MP photos show vivid detail, while an increased pixel size offers superior image quality and low-light performance.
Like a gimbal. Without the gimbal.
The ONE X uses the upgraded FlowState stabilization algorithm, analyzing movement in all directions to achieve a level of stabilization never before possible with a single device.
FlowState lets users capture impossibly smooth video with no accessories needed. Mount the ONE X anywhere – from a helmet to a selfie stick to a kayak – and footage comes out looking like it’s been professionally stabilized.
Shoot first, point later.
The magic of 360 is that it lets you choose the best way to frame an experience after it’s over – there’s no need to point your camera, and you’ll never miss a shot.
Using the ONE X’s simple editing app, users can easily reframe and re-edit the best parts of a scene, creating cinematic clips that would never be possible with a traditional camera.
Own the moment.
The ONE X’s new TimeShift feature lets users adjust the speed of different parts of a clip on a whim. Users can highlight key moments with cinematic slow-mo, or speed things up with a stabilized hyperlapse – the app always keeps playback smooth.
Combine TimeShift with the freedom to frame the shot in any direction, and the possibilities are endless. Users have total control over both time and perspective in their edits.
A drone without the noise.
Using the ONE X app, users can automatically remove a selfie stick from their scenes, leaving the ONE X apparently suspended in mid-air.
The result is the ability to shoot aerial angles without a drone. Pairing the ONE X with Insta360’s customized 10-foot (!) selfie stick leads to stunning possibilities.
Bullet Time. In 3K.
The Insta360 ONE introduced the unique Bullet Time shot, an orbiting perspective that puts a user at the center of an epic slow-mo shot. The ONE X takes this concept to the next level with a wider field of view and a sharper 3K resolution.
Throw them for a loop.
The ONE X is made to throw around. Seriously.
Creators can snap it into the new Insta360 Drifter camera dart, and send it soaring.
The resulting Drift Shots — airborne slow-mo shots enhanced by the full freedom of 360 — unlock impossible angles and create a mind-blowing effect.
High-speed WiFi for preview and transfer.
Users can connect to the ONE X via super-fast 5.8 GHz WiFi, letting them conveniently preview and control their shots in real time.
When they’re ready to transfer footage back to their phone for editing and sharing, they can quickly send it back over WiFi or connect directly with a transfer cable (Lightning, USB Type-C and Micro-USB cables come standard with the ONE X).
The ONE X has a removable 1200 mAh battery, ensuring that creators will stay powered up even when they’re far afield.
Natural lighting. In every direction.
Users can manually tweak image settings — including ISO, exposure value, white balance and shutter speed — to dial in the perfect shot.
The ONE X is also ready for HDR photos, timelapses, hyperlapses, interval shooting and timed shots.
Ready for the elements.
Two rugged case options for the ONE X mean it’s ready to go anywhere.
The Venture Case is a tough shell designed for above-water shooting, which offers splash protection and waterproofing to 5 meters.
The Dive Case is built to breach the depths. Specialized dome lenses allow for underwater 360 shooting — with a clean stitch – down to 30 meters.
Track your trek.
The optional GPS Smart Remote lets users control the ONE X, while automatically recording GPS data for video and photos.
This data can be used to easily upload video and photos to Google Maps Street View, and to add a customizable journey-tracking dashboard to video clips – overlaying speed, direction, elevation, location and route info.
The Insta360 ONE X is priced at $399.95 USD and available to order now via Insta360.com and select retailers worldwide, including B&H Photo Video. Shipments begin Oct. 17.
Today we’re introducing Pixel 3 and Pixel 3XL, the new smartphones from Google. Pixel brings you the best of Google in a phone, powered by AI to deliver more helpful, thoughtful, and enjoyable experiences. That means a phone that answers for you when a telemarketer calls, a camera that uses AI to make sure you never miss the shot, and a more helpful visual and audio experience while charging, powered by the Google Assistant.
Brilliant photos every time and super-charged selfies
We’re taking more photos on our phones than ever before, but we still often miss the perfect moment. Pixel 3 helps you get that perfect shot on the first try.
Here’s how the best camera gets even better with Pixel 3:
- Capture smiles, not blinks: A feature we call Top Shot uses AI to help you capture the perfect photo every time. When you take a motion photo, it captures alternate shots in HDR+, then recommends the best one—even if it’s not exactly when you hit the shutter, looking for those where everyone is smiling, with eyes open, and facing the camera. Top Shot automatically captures alternate shots in HDR+. If your timing wasn’t perfect, the camera will suggest a better one and give you the option to save it.
- Get better zoom: When you zoom in on a phone camera, the image looks grainy. Super Res Zoom is a computational photography technique, traditionally used for astronomy and scientific imaging, that produces sharp details when you zoom.
- No light; no problem: Pixel 3 lets you take natural-looking photos in dark surroundings, all without a flash. With Night Sight, coming soon to Pixel 3, you can take bright, detailed, colorful shots around the campfire, in a moonlit forest, or a selfie after you close out the bar.
- No selfie stick required: Get everyone in the picture with Group Selfie, which gives you 184% more room in your photo for friends and scenery.
- Look … no hands! Photobooth mode uses AI to recognize that when you’re smiling or making a funny expression, you’re ready for a selfie. It snaps the photo on its own so that you don’t need to reach for the shutter button—a good option for candids.
- Even more stunning portraits, front and back: When you take photos in Portrait Mode, you can change the blurriness of the background, or change the part of the picture in focus, after the fact. Google Photos can also make the subject of your photo pop by leaving them in color, while changing the background to black and white.
- Create and play: In Playground, you can make photos, selfies, and videos come to life by adding your favorite superheroes, animated stickers, and fun captions. In celebration of Marvel Studios’ 10 Year Anniversary, you’ll enjoy seeing the characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (exclusively on Pixel) react to each other and to you.
- Super smooth video: When you want to capture something that won’t stop moving—think an adorable toddler or your new puppy—Motion Auto Focus will make sure your Pixel 3 camera stays in sharp focus automatically, as you record. And if you happen to be taking a selfie video while walking or moving around, Pixel 3 brings you front-facing video stabilization.
Unlimited storage for all of your photos and videos
With Pixel 3, you can save all your favorite moments with free, unlimited photo and video storage in original resolution. It’s hassle-free, you don’t have to think about back-ups. Come back to Google Photos later and search for the beach photos you took on your Pixel 3, and they’ll pop right up.
Your AI-powered sidekick
The AI in Pixel 3 enables new features that make your day-to-day actions simpler and easier.
If you want to know more about something you’re looking at, use Google Lens, built right into the Pixel 3 camera. To scan and translate text, find similar styles of clothing, or identify popular plants and animals, you can now long press in the Pixel 3 camera to easily open Lens. When you point your camera at information you want to remember or don’t feel like typing in—like a URL or QR code on a flyer or an email address on a business card—Google Lens suggests what to do next, like creating a new contact.
You can count on even more help across other apps too, including Gmail’s Smart Compose, now available for mobile on Pixel 3. Smart Compose suggests phrases in your emails so that you can draft them faster, on the go. Gboard, the keyboard built into your Pixel 3, will recommend GIFs, stickers, and more, to make your conversations fun and engaging. Available first in English.
The Google Assistant is also baked into Pixel 3 to help you find answers and control your phone and compatible smart home devices—all with a simple squeeze or just by using your voice. This year we have two new Assistant features coming to Pixel:
First, Pixel 3’s on-device AI helps you screen phone calls and avoid spam calls. Imagine you’re at dinner with family or in a meeting at work and a call from an unknown caller comes in. Just tap on “Screen call” to find out who’s calling and why, as well as other information (as prompted by you). You’ll immediately see a transcript of the caller’s responses so that you can then decide whether to pick up, respond by tapping a quick reply (e.g. “I’ll call you back later”), or mark the call as spam and dismiss. Processing the call details on-device means these experiences are fast, private to you, and use up less battery.
Second, Pixel users also get help with making calls. Later this year, Pixel users will be the first to get access to an experimental new Google Assistant feature, powered by Duplex technology, which helps you complete real-world tasks over the phone, like calling a restaurant to book a table. This feature will initially be available in New York, Atlanta, Phoenix and San Francisco to help people book restaurant reservations and will roll out to other cities in the future.
As we develop new calling technologies, we believe it’s critical that we help users understand the context of the conversation. We’ll disclose to businesses receiving the call that they’re speaking to an automated system, and we have developed controls to protect against spam and abuse, as well as the ability for a business to opt-out of receiving calls. For Call Screen, we will also let the caller know that a screening service is being used.
Our phones, while probably the most important tech in our lives, shouldn’t control our lives. So Digital Wellbeing, a suite of tools to help you find your own balance with technology, is built into Pixel 3. It includes a dashboard to help you understand how you spend time on your phone, the ability to set time limits on specific apps, and a new Wind Down mode to help you get to sleep at night by gently transitioning your display to a grayscale screen. When you don’t want to be bothered by rings or notifications, just flip to Shhh— an easy gesture that turns on Do Not Disturb and minimizes distractions.
Fast and wireless charging
Pixel 3 comes with an 18 Watt fast charger in the box, which can give you 7 hours of use in 15 minutes of charging. With our AI-powered Adaptive Battery technique, Pixel 3 prioritizes battery power for your most important apps to make your phone last all day.
Alongside Pixel 3, we’re also introducing Pixel Stand, our new, Qi compliant wireless charger (sold separately). While charging in the Pixel Stand, your phone turns into a smart visual and audio experience powered by the Google Assistant, similar to Google Home Hub. It answers your questions, plays music, helps you control smart home devices, transitions into a photo frame when idle, and much more. If you set an alarm, your screen will gently brighten over 15 minutes before your alarm goes off, mimicking the sunrise and helping you wake up naturally.
Pixel 3 is IP68 water and dust resistant and has a security chip custom-designed by Google called Titan M, making it the most secure phone we’ve built yet. Titan M enhances mobile security by protecting your unlock credentials, disk encryption, app data, and the integrity of the operating system code itself. Powered by Android 9 Pie, Pixel 3 comes with the latest Android operating system.
Experimental Philosopher Jonathon Keats Explores 1,000 Years of Environmental Change in the Lake Tahoe Basin
TAHOE PUBLIC ART INSTALLATION | 2018 – 3018
ART EXHIBITION | OCT 18 – NOV 16, 2018
TAHOE GALLERY, SNC, Incline Village, NV
Tahoe Timescape is a public art project conceptualized by experimental philosopher and artist Jonathon Keats that photographically documents the next thousand years of environmental change in the Lake Tahoe Basin. The project enlists a new approach to photography based on the traditional pinhole camera. Pierced through a plate of 24-karat gold, a minuscule pinhole focuses light onto a rose colored pigment, such that the color fades most where the light is brightest, very slowly imprinting a unique positive image. The Millennium Camera’s thousand-year-long photographic exposure, taken between 2018 – 3018, not only shows the view in front of the camera, but also records how it develops over time, revealing dynamics ranging from urban development to climate change.
Digital Pinhole Photograph from Eagle Rock | Site Photography by Ryland West
While one goal of Tahoe Timescape is to provide documentation of human and environmental dynamics for study by future generations, the Millennium Camera, custom made from copper for durability, is equally intended as a mechanism for people today to envision their long-term impact on the environment – and potentially to change the picture by altering their behavior.
Tahoe Timescape features four Millennium Cameras that will be deployed around all four shores of Lake Tahoe, with fixed vantage points positioned to provide an expansive view of the Lake Tahoe Basin, presenting multiple opportunities for the public to engage in deep-time thinking as they explore the region. The copper brackets that secure each camera in their location, as well as informative plaques mounted next to the cameras, are fabricated locally by Mountain Forge. The four locations, pinpointed on a topographic map and identified by geographic coordinates, are as follows:
- South Shore: Heavenly Mountain Resort, South Lake Tahoe, NV / CA
- West Shore: Eagle Rock, Homewood, CA
- North Shore: Lake Tahoe Dam, Tahoe City, CA
- East Shore: Sand Harbor, NV
Jonathon Keats and Tahoe Public Art’s Executive Director, Mia Hanak, conducted site surveys to identify the vantage points and Millennium Camera locations. Local landscape photographer Ryland West explored each site to shoot a set of landscape photographs paired with digital pinhole photographs focused on the actual vantage point from the Millennium Cameras to help us imagine the photographic composition that will be recorded by each between now and 3018.
“Tahoe Public Art is truly excited to be presenting the conceptual art of Jonathon Keats to the Lake Tahoe Basin. With the ongoing stewardship of Sierra Nevada College, we hope this encourages tourists and residents alike to contemplate the future of the basin and how they can become active in its preservation.” – Steve Miller, Chairman, Tahoe Public Art.
Further outreach will be facilitated by an exhibition about deep time photography at Sierra Nevada College’s Tahoe Gallery. Opening on October 18th and running through November 16 in 2018, the exhibition will feature four sets of landscape photographs, digital medium format pinhole photographs, and photo documentation of the cameras secured at each location. Samplings of pinhole cameras, and a topographic map showing the camera sites and geographic coordinates will also be showcased. On September 5th, Keats led a pinhole camera workshop for SNC students. The exhibition will also showcase original artwork by SNC students — including 2-D, 3-D, digital arts, and interdisciplinary art — encapsulating how they envision Lake Tahoe in one thousand years.