Metabones launches four new adapters for attaching Canon lenses to Sony E-mount cameras
Lens adapter manufacturer Metabones has announced it’s to release four new models that will improve the experience of those mounting Canon EF fit lenses on to Sony E camera bodies. Two of the adapters, the Canon EF-E mount T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA and the Canon EF-E mount T CINE Smart Adapter, are aimed specifically at those who want to use EF lenses on Sony motion picture cameras, such as the PXW-FS7 II.
The other two models, Canon EF-E mount T Speed Booster ULTRA II and Canon EF-E mount T Smart Adapter, are more general purpose and will suit stills photographers as well as those using A7 bodies for video. The Cine models feature a ‘positive-lock’ that users can turn to add extra security to the connection between the lens and the adapter while a similar lock on Sony’s FS7 II does the same for the connection between the adapter and the camera.
Each of the new adapters will feature a rubber gasket to protect the join between adapter and lens from the ingress of moisture and dust, and a new LED keeps users informed of what modes are operational. A switch on the adapter can be used to control in-body stabilization modes when used with a camera that offers the feature.
Autofocus in contrast detection mode is supported by all four adapters, as is aperture control from the body, smooth aperture control in certain modern lenses and auto magnification in manual focus mode when used with a lens that provides distance information.
The two Cine adapters will be available in February, but no on-sale date has been announced for the Canon EF-E mount T Speed Booster ULTRA II and Canon EF-E mount T Smart Adapter.
They are EF to E CINE Smart Adapter™, EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA, EF to E Smart Adapter V and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II.
The headline feature of EF to E CINE Smart Adapter and EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA is a positive-lock EF lens mount carried over from the critically acclaimed Metabones EF-FZ CINE Smart Adapter, a perfect companion to the positive-lock mount of the new Sony FS7 Mark II camera.
All 4 new products are equipped with a rubber gasket to protect the E-mount connection from dust and moisture. To promote ease-of-use, an LED indicates the adapter’s operation mode, optical image stabilization operation and communication status. A dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS) on Sony cameras equipped with SteadyShot INSIDE.
EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II feature the same world-renowned Speed Booster ULTRA optics by Caldwell Photographic and WB Designs that make lenses brighter, wider and sharper.
Metabones recounts the beginnings of the world’s first fully electronic EF to E mount adapter 5 years ago, with only aperture control and auto-magnify (requires lens with distance information) but no autofocus support back then. Over the years firmware work has significantly expanded its capabilities. Today, the very same original Smart Adapter, though long discontinued, can still be upgraded to leverage the latest firmware benefits such as smooth iris (lens support required), fast contrast detection autofocus on all E-mount cameras, eye-AF, direct manual focus (DMF), zoom and distance display (requires lens with distance information), assignable custom button and 5-axis image stabilization (requires camera support).
Since the advent of the original EF to E Smart Adapter 5 years ago, Metabones has assumed a pivotal role in the mirrorless revolution. Cinematographers and photographers all over the world are armed with unprecedented flexibility of lens and camera choice.
EF to E CINE Smart Adapter will be available in February 2017 for USD 449 plus applicable taxes, duties and shipping, and EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA will be offered at the same time for USD 699 plus applicable taxes, duties and shipping. Availability and pricing of EF to E Smart Adapter V and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II are to be determined.
New key features
· CINE models feature a new positive-lock EF lens mount. (Patent pending)
· Rubber gasket protects E-mount connection from dust and moisture.
· Compatible with Sony FS7 Mark II camera
· Status notification LED light
· Dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS)
· Fast contrast-detect AF on all E-mount cameras.
· Phase-detect autofocus support on A7RII, A7II, A6300 and A6500.
· Smooth iris support with the latest Canon (2009+), Tamron (SP series 2013+) and Sigma (2016+) lenses
· Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7II, A7RII and A7SII. (Distance information from lens required; 3-axis IBIS if lens does not transmit distance information.)
· Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
· Aperture control from camera body.
· Custom function button assignable to more than 50 functions on A7 series and A6300/A6500.
· High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
· Supports image stabilization (IS) lenses.
· Supports electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
· EXIF support (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
· Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders, A7 series and A6300/A6500 (lens with distance information support required).
· Auto magnify (lens with distance information support required)
· Auto “APS-C Size Capture” on full-frame cameras.
Optical (Speed Booster models only*) /Mechanical Features
· Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.*
· Increase MTF.*
· Makes lens 0.71x wider.*
· Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass by Caldwell Photographic in the USA (patent).*
· Felt material flocked inside the opening to reduce internal reflection.
· The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, and Photo Clam ball heads.