Please join our CODP lecturer for an exclusive 4 night wildlife workshop at the Baobab Hill Bush House set in the spectacular surrounds of the Makuleke concession of the northern Kruger National Park. Places are limited to a maximum of 6 people per departure so please book early to avoid disappointment!
Full Information [+]
Only R16,250Book Now
CODP is proud to offer this unique and exclusive wildlife workshop, which has been customised to provide the ultimate wildlife and nature experience. This 4 night workshop takes place at the Baobab Hill Bush House in Pafuri and is limited to 6 students.
The workshop consists of a combination of game drives and game walks, to intimately explore one of the highest biodiversity areas of the Kruger Park. Due to the remote location of the lodge, at night there are many opportunities to photograph the night sky. Pafuri is unrivalled walking country and this is your chance to experience one of the Kruger’s remotest corners on foot.
The walks offer you a chance to focus on the little things, but you will also experience the rush of adrenaline when you happen upon members of the Big Five. You’ll notice how the landscape changes from woodland to riverine forests, mountains, floodplains and pans where animals roam freely.
It is here that you will find forests of fever trees, groves of baobabs and vast herds of wildlife. Highlights of the experience include Crook’s Corner, where the Luvuvhu and Limpopo Rivers meet, Lanner Gorge and the Luvuvhu fever tree forest.
The Makuleke Contractual Park or Pafuri Triangle constitutes the northernmost section of the Kruger National Park, South Africa, and comprises approximately 265 square kilometres of land. The “triangle” is a wedge of land created by the confluence of the Limpopo and Luvuvhu Rivers at the tri-point Crook’s Corner, which forms a border with Zimbabwe along the Limpopo River. It is a natural choke point for wildlife crossing from North to South and back, and forms a distinct ecological region.
Baobab Hill Bush House is the old ranger’s accommodation that is situated on a small hill just north of the Luvuvhu River, with excellent views of the surrounding area. Perched on a secluded, baobab-studded ridge just north of the Luvuvhu, this rustic homestead consists of four bedrooms, with a home kitchen, open plan dining room and lounge, a swimming pool and an out-of-Africa veranda, perfect for sun-downers or dinners in the early evenings. All bedrooms have fans, mosquito nets and double or twin beds.
Pafuri is a moderate Malaria area – all visitors to the area and its surrounds, should consult with their healthcare professional regarding Malaria and the use of Malaria prophylactics. It is the guest’s responsibility to take the necessary medical advice and precautions.
This workshop is limited to a maximum of 6 people and will go ahead with a minimum of 5 students. Due to the limited number of rooms, there is only a sharing option available – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 086 11 74686 if you’d like CODP to assist in finding someone to share a room with you.
Please note that you require a reasonable level of fitness to participate in the game walks. For these you will walk at a leisurely pace for about 2.5–4 hours (4 to 10 km), with sufficient breaks for refreshments and plenty of time to take in the experience of being so close to nature.
Due to each departure being limited to a maximum of 6 people, full payment is required upon enrolment to secure your booking
R16,250.00 per person sharing
7 September 2017 Departure – Fully Booked
Pre-meeting at CODP Saxonwold
- Mon 28 August 2017 18h00-20h00
Baobab Hill Bush House – Udo Kieslich
- Thu 7 – Mon 11 September 2017
17 May 2018 Departure (4 places left)
Pre-meeting at CODP Saxonwold
- Mon 7 May 2018 18h00-20h00
Baobab Hill Bush House – Udo Kieslich
- Thu 17 – Mon 21 May 2018
- A pre-meeting to go through the most important aspects of wildlife photography
- 4 nights / 5 days at the Baobab Hill Bush House
- All meals
- Select local drinks (for 2018 departures)
- Morning and afternoon game drives & walks
- Photographing the Milky Way & star trails
- Private game viewing vehicle and guide
- Private swimming pool
- Expert guidance by a CODP lecturer
- Feedback and editing advice on your images
- Transfers to and from Pafuri airstrip
- Flights / travel costs to and from Baobab Hill Bush House – charter flights can be arranged from Johannesburg Grand Central airport to Pafuri airstrip, but are subject to a minimum of 2 guests. Please contact email@example.com or 086 11 74686 if you’d like CODP to enquire on your behalf
- Drinks (for 2017 departures)
- Gratuities, telephone calls & items of a personal nature
- Kruger National park gate fees & government taxes
- Thursday – check-in 2pm | afternoon game drive | dinner
- Friday – morning game walk | brunch | afternoon game drive | dinner
- Saturday – morning game walk | brunch | afternoon game drive | dinner
- Sunday – morning game walk | brunch | afternoon game drive | dinner
- Monday – morning game drive | brunch | check out 11am
- There is little or no mobile phone signal at Baobab Hill Bush House
- Please note that you are in a wilderness area and there is no Wi-Fi available
- CODP & Return Africa will not be held liable for any roaming or data charges
- Baobab Hill Bush House runs completely on solar power
- Whilst the house is fully equipped, there are no heavy electricity users these included: a hairdryer, laundry, microwave, heater to name a few
- Please be aware that we ask that guests do not bring these appliances with them
- You will be required to sign an indemnity form upon arrival, as during the game walks you may encounter dangerous animals or plant life which will expose you to significant risks
As your room and space on the workshop is secured upon your enrolment and full payment, the following cancellation policy applies. This is in accordance to the cancellation policy of Return Africa.
- Cancellations can only be done one full calendar month before the workshop begins
- There is no refund for cancellations within 30 days or less of departure
- Only written cancellations will be accepted
- 25% cancellation fee incurred if the booking is cancelled after written confirmation
- 50% cancellation fee incurred if booking is cancelled 31 – 45 days prior to arrival
- 100% cancellation fee incurred if booking is cancelled 30 days / less prior to arrival
Click on the following link to download a PDF containing directions to Pafuri – DIRECTION TO PAFURI CAMP
- Camera: A digital SLR camera with removable lenses. A fixed-lens camera will also work but may be limiting in certain situations
- Tripod: A sturdy tripod and a cable release are recommended for star trails
- Zoom lenses: At least two zoom lenses are recommended, one of which is wide angle and the other medium-to-long telephoto, which should preferably have some form of image stabilisation. At least 300mm or preferably 400mm is recommended for the game drives. Nikon does a really useful 80-400mm lens and Canon a 100-400mm. For the game walks a 70-200mm and a wide angle lens is recommended.
- Computer: A laptop with editing software loaded onto it. It is recommended that you have some form of back-up, such as an external hard drive.
- Cables and extras: Camera charger, extra memory cards and the camera manual. A memory card reader or computer cables to connect your camera to your laptop.
- For the walks
- A day pack to carry your camera equipment and water bottle
- A hat to protect your face from the hot African sun, a warm jacket and lots of sunscreen
- Comfortable walking shoes & safari gear and good socks
- A water bottle that holds at least 1 litre of water.
For more information or to book please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 086 11 74686.
Upcoming CoursesView Brochure
|Thu, 17 May 2018 "Sharing"||5:00 - 23:59||R16,250||Book|
* This is a school holiday course which will run over consecutive days