ZOOM – A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
Below you’ll find a step-by-step guide on the steps you need to follow a few days before commencing your Virtual Course with CODP. You’ll also find useful tips on how to correctly prepare for your session to avoid unnecessary delays.
DOWNLOAD THE ZOOM APP
- Download the Zoom App on either your phone, tablet or computer. It’s recommended that you download the App on a computer as this offers the most engaging experience.
- A Zoom account is not required if you are only joining Zoom Meetings as a participant. When CODP invites you to their course meeting, you can join as a participant without creating an account, so it’s up to you whether you’d like to register and create an account on Zoom.
- Click the following link to DOWNLOAD ZOOM and select the “Zoom Client for Meetings” download option
- A few days before your Virtual Course begins you’ll receive a calendar invitation via e-mail from CODP (email@example.com), inviting you to join the Zoom meeting.
- Please check your Junk Mail or Clutter folder in case the meeting request ends up there.
- Accept the invitation and the scheduled dates and times of the Virtual Course will be added to your default calendar.
- The calendar invitation contains a link to “Join Zoom Meeting.”
- At least 15 minutes before the Virtual Course is scheduled to begin, navigate to your calendar, open the CODP invitation by double clicking on it, then copy and paste the link in your website browser and hit enter.
- This will prompt you to open the Zoom Desktop Client that you should have downloaded beforehand.
You can also join a Zoom Meeting by doing the following:
- Open the Zoom desktop client.
- Join a meeting using one of these methods:
- Click Join a Meeting if you want to join without signing in.
- Sign in to Zoom and then click Join.
- Enter the meeting ID number (which can be found in the calendar invitation that was sent to you, as can be seen in the calendar example above) and your display name.
- If you’re signed in, change your name if you don’t want your default name to appear.
- If you’re not signed in, enter a display name.
- Select if you would like to connect audio and/or video and click Join.
- If you’d like to practise a bit before the Virtual begins, you can JOIN A TEST MEETING to familiarise yourself with Zoom.
DOWNLOAD THE CODP APP
A few days before the Virtual Course begins, you’ll also receive an e-mail to download the CODP App. The App contains a digital version of the course manual, and is also used to upload assignments and access the course schedule.
- Please follow this STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE on downloading and using the CODP App.
THINGS TO PREPARE
To ensure that the Virtual Course starts on time and there are no delays, please ensure the following:
- Download and install zoom a day or two before the Virtual Course begins.
- To listen to and communicate with the lecturer, it is best to have a headset connected to the computer (a phone headset is perfect). On a laptop, phone or tablet you can also use the built-in microphone and speaker, but a headset is preferable.
- Once you open Zoom to join a meeting, it will prompt you to join computer/device audio by clicking Join Audio, Join with Computer Audio, or Audio to access the audio settings.
- By default the Video option for Virtual Courses will be turned off to preserve bandwidth, so please do not switch your video on unless prompted to do so by the lecturer.
- If you are doing a virtual photography course, please ensure you have your camera on hand, with the batteries fully charged.
- If you are doing a virtual editing course, please ensure you have subscribed to and downloaded the required software such as Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom or Premiere Pro BEFORE the session begins.